The Bundesliga champions won again on Saturday with a 3-1 victory at Wolfsburg thanks to goals from Robert Lewandowski and James. The Colombians declared after the game that “the bad patch of Bayern has ended”, and now they will have to prove it with a trip to the Greek capital in the Champions League. Arjen Robben, who faces a league suspension of a game for his red card in Wolfsburg, is eligible in Europe, and coach Niko Kovac will also be driven by the welcome return of defender Rafinha over the weekend, which will will allow cover after David. Alaba left as a precaution in Wolfsburg. Defender Jerome Boateng is also back in training and an option in Athens.
AEK is back in the Champions League for the first time since 2006/07, after beating Scottish champion Celtic and Hungary’s Vidi in the standings. The Greek champions are currently in fourth place in the country’s Super League after a 2-0 victory at Apollon Smyrnis on Saturday. Viktor Klonaridis is the club’s top scorer this season with six goals in all competitions, but Greece’s Black-Yellows are currently at the end of Group E after losses to Ajax and Benfica.
Calendar: AEK Athens FC vs Bayern Munich
Tournament: UEFA Champions League – 2018/2019
Date / Time: 20:55 GMT +4 October 23
Arena: Olympic Stadium of Athens “Spiros Louis” (Athens)
The match AEK Athens FC vs Bayern Munich will be held on October 23 at the Olympic Stadium in Athens “Spiros Louis” (Athens)
It is a very interesting football match in the UEFA Champions League.
They will try to show us their best skills, combinations and tactics to win this match.
Having lost their first two games, AEK Athens is recovering in Group E and welcomes the team from Bayern München who have their own concerns on the third day.
• The Greek champions are three points adrift at the bottom of the section, while Bayern ranks second, at the same level as the Ajax leaders at four points, as they seek to strengthen their bet on a place in the elimination phase.
• This is the first match between the teams, although each has played nine games against clubs of the country of their opponents, with Bayern undefeated in those competitions.
• Defeated 3-0 at Ajax in their first match, AEK fell 3-2 at home to Benfica on matchday two, finishing a seven-game unbeaten run in the European competition in Athens.
• The previous defeat at home of the Athens club in Europe was a 2-0 loss to CSKA in the third qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League last season. His record since then has been W2 D5.
• AEK was 14 unbeaten European matches (W4 D10), local and visitor, before the defeat in Ajax.
Remarkable: AEK 2-3 Benfica
Remarkable: AEK 2-3 Benfica
• The AEK are in the group stage for the fifth time, and the first since 2006/07. Then they were undefeated at home, got seven points in Athens and defeated LOSC Lille and the eventual AC Milan champion 1-0.
• The four previous UEFA Champions League UEFA Champions League campaigns have ended at that stage.
• Greek champions for the 12th time in 2017/18 – their first success in the championship since 1994 – AEK entered the UEFA Champions League this season in the third qualifying round, where they beat Celtic 3-2 in total (1-1 away from home, 2-1 start) to reach the play-offs. There they beat the Hungarian club Vidi 3-2 in two games (2-1 away, 1-1 at home).
• The home win against Celtic ended AEK’s streak of eight consecutive draws in the European competition.
• Last season, AEK lost to CSKA Moskva in the third qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League and moved to the UEFA Europa League, where they were eliminated by Dynamo Kyiv in round 32 despite avoid defeat in all ten matches in the competition (W2 D8).
• AEK has only won two of their nine European games against German clubs (D1 L6), both at home. The most recent contest ended in a 2-0 reverse against Alemannia Aachen in the 2004/05 UEFA Cup group stage, a third loss in their five home games with German visitors.
• Bayern opened Group E with a 2-0 win at Benfica, but Ajax were held to a 1-1 draw at Ajax last time.
• Bayern are unbeaten in their last six away games (W5 D1). The game at Benfica was his first clean sheet in his UEFA Champions League trips in 15 games.
Watch the Bayern draw with Ajax.
Watch the Bayern draw with Ajax.
• German champions for the 28th time record last season – with a sixth consecutive historical title in the Bundesliga – Bayern are in the group stage for the 22nd time.
• The Munich club have reached the UEFA Champions League quarterfinals or better in each of the last seven seasons. The last time they did not advance from the group’s opening section in 2002/03, despite the fact that they lost the UEFA Champions League completely in 2007/08.
• For the second consecutive year, the Bayern campaign was finalized by Real Madrid in 2017/18, through a global defeat of 4-3 in the semifinals. The 2-2 draw in the second stage in Spain ended with the winning race of four Bayern matches.
• Bayern never lost to a Greek, local or visiting club (W7 D2), and won three of their four trips to Greece, most recently a 3-0 success at Olympiacos in the 2015/16 group stage in which Thomas Müller scored twice.
• The German side has kept the sheets clean in their last six games with Greek opponents, scoring 13 goals in the three most recent contests.
Links and trivia
• He has played in Germany:
Yannis Gianniotas (Fortuna Düsseldorf 2013/14)
• Have played together:
Dmytro Chygrynskiy & Thiago Alcántara (Barcelona 2009/10)
• The defeat of the first day at Ajax was the first defeat of the AEK season in all competitions, after having been undefeated in their seven previous matches (W5 D2) – they have lost two of their six games since then, winning three, including Saturday’s 2-0 success at Apollon Smyrnis.
• AEK’s unbeaten run in 25 matches (D20 D5) in the Greek Super League ended with a 2-0 defeat at PAOK on 23 September. His previous defeat was a 1-0 reverse at home against Atromito